Removable co-pilot stick (update)

With help from my fried Jospeh Palmer I’ve completed the parts for the removable co-pilot stick. I want the stick to be easily removable, for the comfort of non-pilot passengers (ie my wife).

To make it work I embedded an 8pin connector at the bottom of the stick (it is not wired up yet). You can remove and reinstall the stick in one motion, with one hand. There is a snap button that keeps it securely in place during flight. We used a lathe to make a few simple aluminum parts to hold the connectors halves inside to stick. 

I was able to reuse the original parts from the quick build kit. Simply drill out the rivets that are holding the outer and inner aluminum tube in place, cut the inner tube near the bottom, install the connector parts, drill a few holes, insert the snap clip, and Bob’s your uncle.


The parts

Installed

Removed

Connector at the bottom of the stick


Shitty schematic

Here is the final result. Note that besides the small silver button it is hard to tell the difference. The fit is perfect, and there is no noticeable play.

Final result

Note, a removable co-pilot stick is not a safety concern to me. In case of emergencies the passenger is instructed to press the LVL button, reduce power, and pull the parachute.



Comments

  1. Is there an alignment feature on the stick or sleeve to ensure co-pilot stick 8-pin connector are oriented correctly before they meet? I'm guessing there is a small feature on the connector itself but it is a blind mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. Not yet. You need to insert it in the correct orientation. I wanted to add that, but I did not have the correct parts. Perhaps next time I'm there.

      Delete
  2. Do you have a link or part number for the connector?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Customizations

Floor under Back Seat

IPad panel mount