IPad panel mount

A few weeks ago I got the new Apple iPad mini. The smaller form-factor is perfect for the Sling TSi. However, I don’t want it to be floating around on my knee, so I have been looking for a good way to mount it somewhere so that it is hands-free and does not obstruct the view or the instruments. I think I have found a good solution. 


I got a tablet mount on Amazon (link here) with a short adjustable arm and attached the mounting point to the left of the panel (see below). The panel is made of aluminum, covered in leather. I used self tapping screws with plastic washers, but you could use rivnuts.


Here it is with the arm attached.
 

I don’t like the tablet holder that came with it (too bulky), so instead I used another mounting point (Amazon link here), and some Velcro to attach the arm to back of my iPad cover.


That works great, it does not come off easily, it is height adjustable, and it does not take up much space. I also added a small metal tab to hold back the front cover, so that it does not flop around during flight.



Get the good kind of Velcro (link here), and a short USB cable with a 180° connector (link here).

Why do you need an iPad in the cockpit? Isn’t the dual G3X with GTN enough? I use it to:
  • Flight planning when at home
  • Flight briefings and weather
  • Filing a flight plan
  • North-up map view
  • Recording the flight
  • Electronic log book
  • Taking pictures of the Tach/Hobbs
  • Looking for the best place to get lunch


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Customizations

Floor under Back Seat